The Department of Entomology at the National Taiwan University was founded on 13th June 1936 at the same current location of the Entomology Building. Initially, it was affiliated to the Division of Science & Agriculture at the Taipei Imperial University, the predecessor to the National Taiwan University. In 1949, it became a division of the Department of Plant Pathology and Entomology. Due to the fast and divergent development of research essence in plant microbiology and insect science after the 1980s, the Entomology Division became independent as a department on 1st August 1998. Ever since then, the Department has continued its close collaboration with the Plant Pathology Division (now the Department of Plant Pathology and Microbiology). Meanwhile it began a new era of insect research in Taiwan, strengthening this field as an important discipline of life science as well as agricultural industry.